Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

Evolution of Video Games #2

 



Evolution of Video Games🎮

By the 1980s Atari was the biggest

a gaming company in the world Apple had

released two personal computers Silicon

Valley was becoming the center of the

the high-tech universe and watching it all

it was a trip Hawkins pumpkins went to

work for Apple after graduating from

Stanford Business School he's one of

those guys who are probably the smartest

person in every room he's in but he also

sees all the angles and he understands

the technology that's behind behind

individual concepts at Apple Hawkins

began to understand the value of

software designers, he considered them

artists and thought they should be

treated that way


in 1982 Hawkins left Apple to start a

a gaming company in Redwood City

he called it Electronic Arts Hawkins

envisioned EA as an entertainment

the company his engineers were rockstars

promotions for the games included

pictures and BIOS of the people behind

the product worked

everybody wanted to work for ya in

particular brings a huge number of game

developers here are just a huge number I

think at one point I read something like

20% of game developers in the US were

working in the Bay Area and most of them

are working for you under Hawkins EA

released dozens of games war games chess

games puzzles sports games in 1991

Hawkins left as EA CEO to start another

video gaming company before Hawkins left

the EA team came up with John Madden

football the first version in 1988 was

disappointed

game designer Scott or was hired to fix

I think one reason we chiller men

hired me because I had done three

previous computer football games that

were all action arcade oriented before

he joined EA or started a company called

game star with his brother it


specialized in sports games games

brought something different to the

the experience I've been doing magic since I

was a kid and a couple things I learned

from that one was it was very important

to create an atmosphere of feeling for

people with magic where they feel

integrated where they feel part of it

and that certainly influenced me with my

game designs over the years in the

Madden game or looking for ways to get

players are more deeply involved I really

wanted the players to feel like they

were literally on the field and in

control of what was going on if I did

something on offense and you did

something on defense you might stop me

or maybe I score a touchdown but we both

felt like we were in control of that and

if we screw up we know next time we

could have another opportunity to do do

it better or do it different

in 1991 or started meeting John Madden

four times a year during different

stages of the game development there was

one thing Madden insisted on he was a

a big stickler for realism and so it had

to reflect his philosophy of football so

one of the things that I learned when I

did research on them when I was

designing the first one and had to bring

he into the design was his philosophy

of one-on-one confrontations football is

a series of 22 players and 11

confrontations and the result of that

play is how each of those confrontations

resolves itself

Madden's commitment to realism helped

bring the game off the screen into the

real world

gamers started holding drafts

tournaments and even trading players

more importantly NFL coaches and players

started to use the game as a way to

learn strategy and field tactics for the

first time

the 

video game wasn't just again I think

we're all surprised at how much success

it had it it really transcended the

sports of gamer and really reached on

all gamers and I think it still does

following the success of madly EA is

built games for every major sport the

games have even outgrown the skills of

the early designers

I don't play Madden anymore it's

actually, become too complicated for me

I'm an old-school guy now Madden is so

complicated I think there's more

audibles at the line of scrimmage in

Madden then there were plays in the

original Sega Genesis version or left

Electronic Arts in 2000 to get into

mobile games

by then companies like EA and the Tari

had created the first generation of

people who grew up playing video games

and for the first time, gamers were going

to take center stage for our 17-year-old

kid, you know free trip to Boston and

Mike getting paid to just talk about

games and was ya mind-blowing at the

time

Evolution of Video Games